Valentine’s Recipe: Braised Short Ribs with Farro Risotto, Horseradish Crème Fraîche, and Onion Marmalade
Braised Short Ribs with Farro Risotto, Horseradish Crème Fraîche,
and Onion Marmalade
Braised Short Ribs
6 (8-ounce) portions beef short ribs
1 recipe Red Wine Marinade (Pantry, page 237)
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¼ cup canola oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced large
1 carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
1 celery stalk, cut into 2-inch lengths
3 tablespoons tomato paste
5 sprigs thyme
2 fresh bay leaves
2 quarts chicken stock
Horseradish Crème Fraîche
½ cup crème fraîche
2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
1 teaspoon coarse salt
5 large yellow onions, diced
1 ½ cups white wine vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon fennel seed
2 teaspoons coarse salt
10 cups chicken stock
3 tablesppons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups faro
Coarse salt, to taste
Marinate and braise short ribs
1. Place short ribs in red wine marinade in a large bowl or zip-top bag. Refrigerate overnight.
2. Remove short ribs from marinade, reserving marinade. Pat short ribs dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
3. Preheat over to 300°F.
4. Heat oil in a large, ovenproof pot over medium-high heat until it begins to smoke. Working in batches to avoid crowding pan, sear short ribs on all sides until evenly browned. Transfer short ribs to a plate and set aside.
5. Lower heat to medium; add onion and celery to pot and cook, stirring, until softened lightly. Add tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaves and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add reserved marinade and seared short ribs to pot. Add enough chicken stock to cover by 2 inches.
6. Bring to a simmer, then transfer to oven. Braise short ribs until they are fork-tender but not falling apart, about 2 hours.
Make horseradish crème fraîche
Fold all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside at room temperature until ready to serve.
Make onion marmalade
Combine all ingredients in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir frequently, until liquid is reduced to a marmalade-like consistency, about 15 minutes.
Make faro risotto
1. Place chicken stock in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; heat until just simmering, then lower heat to medium to keep stock hot.
2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Toast farro in oil until farro begins to smell nutty.
3. Add a ladleful of chicken stock, cooking and stirring until farro absorbs most of liquid. Continue adding stock by the ladleful, stirring frequently and cooking until stock is mostly absorbed before adding the next addition. Season with salt to taste.
Stir horseradish crème fraîche into farro risotto. Spoon a portion of farro risotto into each of 6 bowls. Top with braised short ribs, and garnish top of short ribs with onion marmalade.